Monday February 4th, 2019
WHO: Southwest CyberSec Forum WHEN: 1st Monday of each month (excluding holidays) WHERE: UAT theater at 2625 W Baseline Rd, Tempe, AZ 85283 (NEW LOCATION!) WHY: To stay current with new cyber threats, explore new security technologies, and network with your peers. FREE: No membership fees, no RSVP’s, food and drinks provided by our sponsors.
This month we have Tool Time with Tim Gracia (SANS Instructor) providing a run down on useful Cybersecurity tools. Tim will be followed by Gavin Klondike whom will be doing a deep dive on Machine Learning which is a trending technology that has significant implications for the Cybersecurity arena.
Erik Graham will be presenting his popular cyber threat update as usual.
This meeting is free and open to the public, so please invite your friends & bring your best questions. Our goal is to keep you, your co-workers, and your family informed and safe
Notice: Until Further Notice, all future meetings will be at the University of Advancing Technology in Tempe, AZ.
2625 W Baseline Rd, Tempe, AZ 85283 (Map)
We provide top-rated network and content security, as well as secure access products that share intelligence and work together to form a cooperative fabric. Our unique security fabric combines Security Processors, an intuitive operating system, and applied threat intelligence to give you proven security, exceptional performance, and better visibility and control–while providing easier administration.
- Terry Zechman, Sales Engineer <email@example.com>
- Kahil Thomas, Account Manager <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Networking, Food and Drinks
- 6:00 to 6:30 pm
- No Entry into the UAT Theater until 6:30 as classes are in session
- No Food or Drink inside the UAT theater at any time
**General Announcements & **Sponsor Segment
- 6:30 to 6:50 pm
- Sponsorship by Fortinet whom provides world-class security solutions
Cyber Threat Updates by John Nash
- 6:50 to 7:00 pm
- Erik is out today so John will cover all cybersecurity news of note since the last meeting.
Links from Cyber Threat Update:
- Cyber Breaches for Jan of 2019
- CEO Fraud scams
- Linux backdoor trojan SpeakUp
- OceanLotus active in the APAC region
- Malviertising also Trust in Advertising Organization
Tool Time with Tim Garcia
- 7:00 to 7:45 pm
- As a long standing SAN instructor and a veteran security professional Tim Garcia will review useful cybersecurity tools, is always a group favorite and will be sure to make the forum well worth your time.
- Tim has been kind enough to share his presentation which can be found here. Note: this link/location may change when we re-organize the site.
Machine Learning for Security Analysts with Gavin Klondike
- 7:45 to 8:45 pm**
Machine Learning Abstract:
Today, over a quarter of security products for detection have some form of machine learning built in. However, “machine learning” is nothing more than a mysterious buzzword for many security analysts. In order to properly deploy and manage these products, analysts will need to understand how the machine learning components operate to ensure they are working efficiently. In this talk, we will dive head first into building and training our own machine learning models using the 7-step machine learning process.
And Gavin has graciously provided the slides to his presentation in advance which can be accessed below. Thanks Gavin!
SlideShare: Machine Learning for Security Analysts
Gavin is a senior consultant and researcher who has a passion for network security, both attack and defense. Through that passion, he runs NetSec Explained; a blog and YouTube channel which covers intermediate and advanced level network security topics, in an easy to understand way. His work has given him the opportunity to be published in industry magazines and speak at conferences such as Defcon and CactusCon. Currently, he is researching into ways to address the cybersecurity skills gap, by utilizing machine learning to augment the capabilities of current security analysts.
Past talks and publications:
- Defcon 22 (Wall of Sheep Village) – Network Based File Carving – https://www.wallofsheep.com/pages/speaker-workshops-at-def-con-22#gklondike
- Cactuscon 2014 – Open Source Network Forensics and Advanced PCAP Analysis – http://cc.thinkst.com/talk/view/34747/
Wrap Up and Networking
- 8:45 to 9:00 pm